WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR KIDS CRY ?
Crying is a normal physiological process in the day to day life of every baby.They cry to communicate with us. Since they can’t express their feelings in words crying is the method of communication. If they experience any uncomfortable feeling they simply cry. Normally, babies cry in situations like hunger,wetting, heat or cold,tight cloths pain etc Some of them want to feel the presence of somebody.Crying without any cause is habitual in some babies. Even though crying is considered as normal it may worry the family members.Since the reasons for crying ranges from simple causes to serious causes it should not be ignored and hence exact cause has to be identified and managed accordingly.
Below are some points which should be noted while dealing with your crying baby.
- It is dangerous to shake the baby vigorously.
- Tight cloths can cause irritation so it should be removed.
- If the room temperature isn’t conducive, if its hot put the fan on and open the windows for fresh air.
- If the nappy is wet change it and pamper your baby’s butts with great products before wearing him a new one.
- Pat her back softly or stroke her head slowly and let her here your soothing sound.
- Give breast milk and make her quiet.
- If the climate is cold cover her in soft warm towel.
- Rock her gently in your arms and walk slowly in the room.
- Take a music making doll and let her listen.
- Try a pacifier or help her for thumb sucking.
- If no response change her position.
- Walk outdoors with her.
- Put her on the cradle and rock gently.
- If no response ask somebody to carry the baby.
Even after all these steps the baby goes on crying see for the following signs.
- Colic- press her abdomen gently,she may twist or resist you
- Earache- Pull her ear gently she may become worse or push your hands away.
- Fever due to Infection- Feel her temperature with the back of your hands.
- Eruptive disease,nappy rash,measles,vesicles,allergy, Examine the skin from head to foot.
- Coryza- See the nose for any discharge
- Meningitis,head injury- Move the head gently to feel any neck stiffness.
- Increased mucus in wind pipes-Keep your ear near her chest to hear any rattling sound.(pneumonia, bronchitis, asthmatic bronchitis etc)
- Examine the anal orifice:–Anal erosion,rectal polyp,crawling of worms.
- Examine the genitalia:–Any discharge or erosion.
- Orchitis,torsion of testes- In male baby see the testicles which may be swollen or tender.
- Observe the body movements and see for any convulsions,rigors,vomiting,cough, labored breathing etc.
If you see the above signs or any other abnormal signs consult your Pediatrician for proper treatment.